In 2004, LLI Technologies acquired the assets of CMI General Contractors with the purpose of providing both design and/or construction services. However, in 2005 the decision to separate the construction and engineering services was made and the engineering company took the name LLI Engineering while the construction firm took the name of CMI Construction creating two totally separate entities. LLI Engineering today has an active client base of over 100 clients. The firm works with many prominent architectural firms, construction firms, and clients to provide innovative solutions to today's complex problems.
In 1998, the name was changed to emphasize its almost 90-year association with science and technology-related buildings. The new name was established by combining the former name (Larsen and Ludwig, Inc. - LLI) and their forte - simply - Technologies. During this time companies from the technology and telecommunications industry became major clients of the firm. The firm managed many design-build projects for several clients to help meet critical time schedules.
By 1957, Hunting and Dunnells had both retired, and in 1964, Homer Ludwig became a partner with Henry Larsen. The firm became pioneers in developing the technology associated with data centers, telecommunication equipment buildings and switching centers. This new area of expertise expanded the client base to include Bell of Pennsylvania as a major client in 1965. Additional new clients included Robertshaw Controls, H.J. Heinz, Humble Oil, The Pittsburgh Press and Gulf Research.
Henry Larsen retired in 1978 after 45 years with the firm and current management of the firm took control in 1988.
In 1947, Davis sold his shares in the company to Henry Larsen, a structural engineer, and the company name was changed to Hunting, Larsen and Dunnells. The client base also began to change, adding more commercial clients, general office buildings, banks and research laboratories to its portfolio of expertise.
In 1930, the firm added a new engineering partner and changed the name to Hunting, Davis and Dunnells. As the reputation of the company began to grow, so did the scope and magnitude of its projects. Leading up to and during the World War II years, there was a focus on industrial and manufacturing projects. In that time frame the firm added clients such as the Railroads, the Federal Government, the US Army Engineers and the US Navy to its growing list of clients. Westinghouse, Alcoa, General Electric, Piper Aircraft, Peoples Natural Gas and Graybar Electric were all prominent industrial clients of the time. Many of these companies remain as clients to this day.
An engineer and an architect started a company that would become known for utilizing new ideas and putting them into practical application for the benefit of their clients. The Hunting-Davis Company was established in 1910 based on the utilization of reinforced concrete as a structural framing system.
During the early 1900's, this new building technology made it possible to build cost-effective multi-floor structures capable of carrying huge loads. Combined with advances in vertical transportation systems (elevators), the ability to create heavy-duty structures that were naturally fire-proof and highly secure caused the appearance of buildings such as the multi-story automobile dealerships, high-rise warehousing and massive multi-story manufacturing structures. A few notable clients during the period included Union Switch and Signal (Braddock, PA), Pittsburgh Plate Glass (PPG), Kaufmann's, Standard Manufacturing (plumbing fixtures) and Cheesebrough-Ponds.